Wednesday, May 18, 2016

All the crullers in the world will not get me back to Ed Levin Park

Mists Cynagua War - AS 51
I went to war last Saturday. I'm not the biggest fan of SCA wars since I'm not all that enthused by fighting, especially war fighting where there isn't a crown or coronet on the line. However I had my reasons for going this time (but more on that later).
Jorgen went with me at the last minute thanks to a generous offer from Mannam to babysit the kids. Vittorio was also fighting and Jorgen is really the only one who actually knows how (and has the brute strength) to get him into his armor. We also picked up a hitch hiker in the form of Edmund who was marshaling.

Edmund's wife, Katrina, showed up later in the afternoon with a surprise for me! PINK CRULLERS! The rare and elusive. Oh what sweet heaven.




But we were in the wilderness part of Ed Levin Park; I've only ever been to the picnic-y type part which is grass and a pond and picnic tables. This part is straight up scout camp feeling (except for the country club in the visible distance). Several of the gals I was socializing with swatted and smacked ticks crawling on them. And when I went to use the privy, I saw I had become a victim of a blood sucking tick. We got it off at the gas station on the way home. I'm sad to say I was too squeamish to do it myself. Thank goodness for husbands.

I would have considered it suffering for my hobby and a fact of life when one goes into a wilderness area, but on Monday while stuck in my morning commute traffic, I slapped another tick off my arm. The worst part of course is that I don't know if I killed it, but it's lost again in car somewhere. My skin's been crawling for days. All of the crullers in the world may not be sufficient enough to get me back to Ed Levin Park ever again.

Here's some shots from the war, courtesy of the Hubster via Vittorio's camera.
Her Highness of Cynagua, Princess Catherine, hands out the swan patches.
His Majesty, King Hansa.
His Highness of Cynagua, Eibhear, addressing the troops. That's Vittorio in the center.
Brody involved in a knife fight during the bridge battle scenarios.
Gotta love how fearsome a spear line looks. Viscountess Annora.
Countess Ariela embroidered and watched from the hillside.
Vittorio isn't bleeding which is a complete shock.

There was also some good rapier fighting.
More pole arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment