Sunday, January 29, 2017

Garbing baby - the beginning

SCA garb.
Vittorio (my fighter) and his wife are expecting their first baby. She doesn't play very much, but she's come to events a few times, especially our local ones. A couple of weeks ago, the first announcements of their baby shower started to be floated around on Facebook. They hadn't registerred for baby goods anywhere yet and when I pestered them for ideas, Vittorio asked for baby garb - little late period Italian baby garb specifically. Gillian (the wife) then chimed in that she wanted Welsh garb for their baby girl. Italian baby clothes will be so adorable because SQUEE! The Welsh clothes will be a little harder to make up because...well...the Welsh don't really have anything in the way of garb. So I think I might do some more Norse/Saxon type clothes for her.

This is going to be a place to put my ideas for the baby clothes. She's (because you've probably figured out baby is a girl by now) is due at the end of March/beginning of April. I bought some great red & gold fabric for the Italians. Also I got a green linen blend.

Some links I'm looking at:
http://www.elizabethancostume.net/ - love this page, using this for their articles on children this time but I used the smock/chemise pattern generator for my most recent chemise made in super sheer cotton gauze

Handy dandy charts on avg children's measurments

and of course, I'll ask the EC Bees on Facebook if they can share pics of babies in garb with me. And always, there's Pinterest and google searches.

No comments:

Post a Comment